Monday, December 16, 2002

The Mis-Adventure of a LifeÖwell, a Weekend

Friday, 13 December, 2002 ñ 10:30 p.m.
I arrive at The Note in the Wicker Park neighbor hood of Chicago. The purpose for this journey is to partake in an evening of live music performed by 4 bands, all of whom are amazing. The bands were (in order of appearance): Pearly Sweets & The Platonics, The Detholz, 40 Piece Choir, and oh my god. I arrive in time to catch the last half of The Platonics set. I buy a $6 Fosters and begin to enjoy the evening.

Saturday, 14 December, 2002 ñ 2:02 a.m.
oh my god has finished their set, and the night was beautiful. All of a sudden, a DJ appears and begins to spin. I havenít partaken in an evening of dancing for a whileÖso it begins.

Saturday, 14 December, 2002 ñ 4:07 a.m.
With pain shooting through my body, I make the walk back to my car and drive home.

Saturday, 14 December, 2002 ñ 12:30 p.m.
I arise and shower, for the next 24 hours I will be on the road (2 gigs in Flint, MI) with oh my god.

Saturday, 14 December, 2002 ñ 1:30 ñ 2:00 p.m.
I arrive at Iguanaís house and we pack the van. From there we go and pick up Jason. Billy and Brandon will be going up to Flint separately.

Saturday, 14 December, 2002 ñ 5:30 p.m. (Eastern Time)
We stop at the Trans-America Truck Stop about 20 miles inside Michigan. Jason and I meander our way inside to the BK and order food while Iguana fills the van. Jason buys 2 of the Simpsonís talking watches. Out of nowhere Iguana arrives in the restaurant on the phone and eyes blazing.

ìMy backpack is NOT in the van.î (IG)
ìWhat? I though I saw Brandon carry it out last night.î (Jason)
ìI looked and it is not there. I canít do the show without it. It has my Leslie cable and piano moduleî (I)
ìShit.î(J)
ìI think it is still at the club.î(I)
ìCall Fabian, maybe he can get in.î (J)
ìI called Nord and he is trying to get a hold of Fabian.î(I)
ìShould we head back and see if the club is open?î (J)

Saturday, 14 December, 2002 ñ 2:30 p.m.
Head back to Chicago. 88 miles away. 90 minutes.

ìWe canít do this. It will add 166 miles and 3 hours to the trip. No way.î (I)
ìWhat should we do?î(J)
ìFuck. Maybe we Ö they have a piano at the Local right?î (I)
ìI think so.î
(phone rings)
ì(I is on the phone) Damn it. Ok. What do you think we should do?.... Ok. Can you give Alexia a call and seeÖno. Nevermind. If somebody can get in and drive the 4 Ω hours to Flint maybe we can make it. But they would need to leave by 6 Chicago time. Ok. Give me a call.î
ìWhatís up?î (J)
ìThe club doesnít open until 8. We are screwed. I guess we could just head to Flint and try something.î

Saturday, 14 December, 2002 ñ 2:45 p.m.
Head back to Flint.

Saturday, 14 December, 2002 ñ 5:00 p.m.
Outside Kalamazoo, MI. We pull over to a gas station because Iguanaís phone is beginning to die (the poor guy had been on it almost constatnly since the discovery). The purpose of this stop is 2 fold.
1. To try to find a car charger to the phone
2. Nord gave Iguana the number of a guy in Detroit who might be able to help.

Iguana calls the guy in Detroit and is then given the number to a guy who actually lives and work in Flint. A few tense minutes laterÖThe guy thinks he can help.

Saturday, 14 December, 2002 ñ 8:30 p.m.
We arrive in Flint. Stop by a convenient store and pick up sandwiches and drinks.

Saturday, 14 December, 2002 ñ 8:45 p.m.
We arrive and load into The Flint Local 432, and all ages venue (a very cool placeÖwish we had one when I was growing up.)

Saturday, 14 December, 2002 ñ 9:15 p.m.
Matt shows up and has the 2 necessary cords. Sweet Lord, weís gonna have us a show!!!!

Saturday, 14 December, 2002, 10:30 p.m.
oh my god rocks the house for the next hour and a half.

Sunday, 15 December, 2002 ñ 12:00 a.m.
Strike the rigÖmove every thing literally next door to Kellyís Pub.

Sunday, 15 December, 2002 ñ 12:20 a.m.
oh my god does the 2nd show for the night.

Sunday, 15 December, 2002 ñ 1:45 a.m.
Strike the rig and load the van.

Sunday, 15 December, 2002 ñ 2:30 a.m.
Arrive at Wadeís house. Party. Sleep soon takes over the room.

Sunday, 15 December, 2002 ñ 8:30 a.m.
Iguanaís alarm clock goes off. He looks at meÖI look at him. Pushes a button.

Sunday, 15 December, 2002 ñ 11:00 a.m.
On the road again. This time Billy is with us.

Sunday, 15 December, 2002 ñ 2:30 (Central Time)
Back at Iguanaís place. Unload the van and head home.

The tale of the show that almost wasnít

Peace

No comments: