Wednesday, January 15, 2003

Am I crazy or just plain goofy

I enjoy the cold weather we have been experiencing. I enjoy the heat in the summer. I enjoy the struggle of living paycheck to paycheck. I like to push farther that what can be handled. I get some sort of perverse joy from laborious tasks.

I am not sure why, but I do.

The more I think about it, the more I begin to consider the performance and artistic nature of these things. Huh? I never thought of it that way until I spent a semester assisting a professor with a 4 month long performance piece. It centered on tasksĂ–menial and major. For three weeks he carried a cinder block everywhere he went. For one hour he sliced onions. For 2 minute he stood on one foot. Other examples are the artist up in Madison who sat in an outdoor kiosk for 24 hours; or the artist who paced a field for a month; or the piece I participated in, in which we spent 8 hours filling a tub full of water with eye droppers.

You see, I think the idea of work has been misconstrued by our society. Work is something to be enjoyed. Enjoy the fact that because it is cold you must struggle to go outside. Look at it this way. Work is not just going to an office and sitting on your bum typing a blog. No, work is a process in which our bodies and minds should be stimulated and pushed in ways that are not considered normal. I consider the extreme things I do as work.

Does this come form my pride as the son and grandson and great grandson of blue collar workers? I donĂ­t know. I do know the pride they had in their work. I know the pride I have in my work.

Or is this just an example of me being goofy?

Peace

No comments: