Tuesday, August 19, 2003

The InterviewÖMy Turn

A few days ago Tripp posted this. It was about an interview process going on amongst bloggers. Being sado-masochistic I agreed to take part. These are the 5 Questions Tripp sent me. If you want to be interviewed by me, follow the directions below.

1. You are a stage director. How did you get involved in theater to the degree you are?

I first got involved in theatre my freshman year of high school. My school had a blessing/curse of having a no-cut policy for the annual musical. Knowing I would be cast no matter what I figured what the heck. (Along with the fact the girl I liked was auditioning and wanted me toÖalways a sucker.) I sang Happy Birthday, and was cast in The Music Man. I hadnít ever given a thought to theatre as a career until opening night. I had so much adrenaline pumping through me that I was as high as a kite. I was hooked.

From there I began auditioning around town and participating in community theatre. I paid my dues in community theatre. I was one of the few who wanted to do everything. I would help build, hang lights, paint (poorly), do make up, and sweep the stage. Whatever I could do to be around the theatre. To learn.

My junior year I told my mom that I wanted to major in theatre. After a minute of silenceÖI though I had just cussed her out. She looked at me. Staring through me. It took forever. ìGood for you,î she said with her smile. That was that.

As far as directing goes, it wasnít until the end of my sophomore year of college that I even considered it. I knew I would have to take directing class my junior year, so I started looking for plays to direct. I found one and fell in love with itÖThis Property Is Condemned by Tennessee Williams. During its performance, I spent more time watching the audience than the play. I saw them into it. Wanting it. I gave it to them.

I guess the simple answer as to why I love directing is that I love story telling. As an actor you have a part in that, but as a director you are responsible for telling the entire story.

2. What are your real thoughts on the Lutheran Church and their seminary in St Paul?

My thoughts on the Lutheran ChurchÖhmmm. Well, since my immediate family (Mom, Josh, Grandma and Grandpa) are the only one who are not Lutheran in my entire family that is a mixed bag. My cousinís husband is even a Lutheran minister up in the suburbs.
As for Luther Seminary in St. PaulÖPoo. Why canít it be in ChicagoÖthe very least Kenosha? (For those of you who donít know, my girlfriend will be starting there in the fall.

3. What was it like growing up Baptist? Is there anything you would change?

I guess growing up Baptist was fine. When some thing is the only thing you know, you donít know any different. If that makes any sense. My mom and dad were/are very religious people. So, I always had that influence.

Anything I would change? I donít know. I was blessed with a great extended family (that is something about growing up BaptistÖyou are family). I never felt like I was missing out on anything, or was superior to anyone. I donít think I would change any thing.

4. Tell us about your brother.
Joshua Adam. 3/31/80. Married on 8/28/01 to Sarah Anne. Currently works for Thoroughbred Technologies in Louisville, KY. We had a typical big brother beats up little brother relationship, until big brother comes home from college and Peanut is now bigger than big brother. We got along well, all things considered.

5. What job do you have that supports your theater habit?

Well, my job that pays the bills has nothing to do with theatreÖI am an office bitch. You know, fix the copies, make coffee, run the mail room, make sure stuff gets printed, and answer this interview kinds of stuff.

I am co-founder of beYond thAt. We are a young theatre company trying to get our feet off the ground. We just closed Reefer Madness, and are trying to figure out what to do next.


There---great questions Tripp. Let me know if you want to get interviewedÖmy hand is tired from all this typing.

Peace
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Official Rules

1. If you want to participate, leave a comment saying "interview me."
2. I will respond by asking you five questions - each person's will be different.
3. You will update your journal with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview others in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions
6. And, sure, I will answer reasonable follow up questions if you leave them in my comments.

No comments: