Tuesday, July 15, 2003

All Star Fever

I never thought I would say this, but you can feel something downtown today. And, no, it isn't the tourists bumping into you. There is just something about the atmosphere. Today is the All Star Game. Every other person I see down here is wearing a baseball jersey or cap...even me. I am wearing my beloved Cardinals cap today.

People are grinning and happy.

I love baseball. I don't know all the stats of who is the best in the league for this or that. What I love about baseball is one of those intangibles. Not sure what it is, but there is some thing about going to a baseball that makes it special. Sons and Dads. Daughters and Moms. Kids and Grandkids. Going to see the Springfield Cardinals play was an almost weekly occurrence. We all went. Mom, Dad, Josh, Grandma, Grandpa, Uncle Paul and Aunt Marilyn (when they were in town), and I all would go. Baseball games were at time for the family to get together and just hang out. All the problems we might of had did not matter the Lanphier park. Maybe monthly we would take a trip down to St. Louis to see the Cards play. We would try to a ball game when we went of vacation. We were at the game where Joe Niekro got busted with an emory board (Twins vs. Angels)

Baseball is a family game and truly America's Pastime.

Play ball.

No comments: