Tuesday, November 09, 2004

A Non-partisan Political Post

All of us politicofiles should be proud of this letter to the editor in today's Suntimes:

Giving 100%

I was privileged to be a poll watcher at the 49th ward's 21st precint on Election Day...Most of the precint is composed of Loyola University students and staff. There is a prevailing opinion that the youth of today just don't care, but you would not have thought that if you had seen this precint.

The line formed early and never let up. By noon, 50% of the voters in the precint had cast their ballots. By 3 p.m. more than 75% had been accounted for, and still the line formed across the room. The poor judges never got a moment's break!

By five o'clock I was joking with one judge that at this rate they would run out of registered voters. And guess what? There are 486 registered voters in the 21st precint. When the last absentee ballot went through the machine the counter read 486: a 100% turnout! I've never seen anything like it.

Loyola is to be commended for helping develop such an aware and involved student body. It makes me proud!

-- AMS (Rogers Park)

Cliff...you lernt them kids good. Congrats!

1 comment:

Benedict Seraphim said...

Well, I did harangue my class to go vote, but I'm not sure I was *that* effective! :-)